Like many other One-Yard Wonders patterns that I've made in the past, I didn't use an exact yard of fabric. Rather, I was given a bunch of fabrics that I had no idea what to do with, and this plaid happened to be among them. Like I've said before, I like to think that I'm still embracing the One-Yard Wonder concept by being thrifty and using a fabric that I already had on hand.
Some notes on this pattern:
- I didn't feel that there was quite enough fabric for the waist ties (because they were trying to get everything to fit in just one yard!), so I cut my waist ties a little more generously than you are supposed to.
- The hot pads can be a bit tricky to sew, because they get so thick. I didn't hammer my edges flat, but it might be a good idea.
- I felt that I needed an additional tack sewn in the hot pads, as they were still flopping out a bit with only one. I added one more, about an inch from the first - this seems to work pretty well (see below):
I used white thread to put the tacks through the hot pads, and they are not very noticeable at all - I added red circles to the two photos above so that they are easier to find.
I think this may have to be my new go-to apron, at least for springtime. No more searching for oven mitts!