Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kickin' Back for Presidents' Day Weekend


Such a busy weekend of sewing!  I spent much of the long holiday weekend hand-quilting my Hootenanny quilt, and I am pleased to report that it is mostly done.  I quilted until I was drowsy and my index finger was sore.  In fact, I spent so much time hand-sewing that I was yearning for my sewing machine by yesterday afternoon.  Luckily, I had a quick project in mind.


I've been meaning to participate in the Boy, Oh, Boy, Oh Boy 'Sewing for Boys' Sew Along, and this weekend seemed like the perfect time to make the February pattern.  The Kickin' Back Sweats are a fairly straightforward design - roomy, soft pants with a big optional pocket and a stretchy waistband.  The pattern seems very easy to follow, though admittedly, I didn't follow it exactly.


I decided that this pattern was a perfect opportunity to make reversible pants!  I had some heavy blue and white striped canvas that I thought would be perfect.  For the reverse side, I went to Sew to Speak and bought the quilting-weight Osteology Alexander Henry fabric.  I think the blue and white stripe is perfect for spring (though I think Josh will be more likely to wear the pants with the AH fabric showing), and the cuffs are great for rolling up.  I was a little worried about the length, so I thought it may be better if they were intended to be rolled up, making them more like long shorts.  I'm picturing him wearing these with a sweatshirt while he climbs trees in April.  Of course, the winter has been so mild that I think he could roll up the cuffs and climb trees now!



Truthfully, there isn't much that has to be done differently to make these pants reversible, though you have to double all fabric requirements, as you are essentially making two pairs of pants.  If you would like to make your own reversible Kickin' Back Sweats, follow the instructions from the book, up to the sewing of the waist casing.

  • At this point, turn one pair of pants right side out and the other inside out; place the right-side out pair inside the inside out pair, matching up seams.  This is very similar to the step that connects the two legs at the inseam.  
  • Once you have pinned the two pairs of pants together around the top of the waistband, sew completely around the top, about 1/4" from the edge, overlapping the beginning and end of the stitching.  
  • Pulling the pants through the leg openings, turn the pants so both pairs are right side out.  At this point, the pants are attached at the waist and the legs are pointing in opposite directions.  
  • Press the seam that connects the two pairs of pants.  Also turn the  bottom cuffs of the pants about 1/4" to the wrong side and press.  
  • Now, insert one pair of pants into the other pair so their wrong sides are facing.
  • To make the waist casing, sew around the top of the pants, 1 1/8" from the top seam.  Leave about 2" open to insert the elastic.  
  • You will have to reach up one of the legs to insert the elastic into the waist casing.  Use a safety pin and be very careful not to twist the elastic.
  • Sew the ends of the elastic together, once you have checked to make sure that it isn't twisted.
  • Finish sewing the waist casing closed.
  • Topstitch the cuffs closed about 1/8" from the bottom.  This should completely seal the pant legs with the pressed raw edges inside.
Please let me know if you have questions about how I did any of this!  


Josh was asleep last night when I finished these, so I don't have any shots of him wearing them yet.  Hopefully, that will be remedied in the next day or two.  More photos to come!

2 comments:

  1. They look great, Anna! I love the fact that they are reversible. I'd thought about doing a cuff myself and wondered how it would look with the pocket and I see that yours (rolled up) have the same effect. I think the boys would enjoy choosing which side to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first day he wore them, Josh switched sides multiple times! I think the novelty of reversible clothes is great for kids. Also, I think it could be fun to play with pocket placement for these - up closer to the knees would be good, and might make it easier if you wanted to roll the cuffs up multiple times.

      Delete